Monday, August 1, 2011

The Beginning of Our Permanent Year in NYC

There’s no place like home! Home being our new apartment in Astoria! Yesterday we spent most of the morning carting all of our stuff from Stef’s other sublet to the new place. Special thanks to all our NY friends who lent a hand! It only took us two trips, which was a miracle. There wasn’t much unpacking to be done because we have no furniture yet. That’s correct, none. SO last night Stef and I shared a twin air mattress (check out pics on Facebook!!) Guess it’s the traditional NY experience, but we couldn’t be happier with the new place. It’s a work in progress. Can’t wait for Karli to get here!!

*Stef here… I should add that moving was the most miserable experience of my life. It was hot and sticky, and EVERYTHING was so freaking heavy after 14 blocks and 2 flights of stairs. And I got sun poisoning on one of my hands. BUT I have never been happier being in a new place, so it was definitely worth it. It doesn’t quite feel like home yet but seeing as we only have a side table and an air mattress to our names, I think it’s to be expected. I can’t wait to get our furniture! Also we are without internet until Friday or Saturday so we will be frequenting cafes with free wifi for the next week. I should add that it is nearly impossible to stage manage a show without internet or a smart phone. But I just gotta make it work. J Definitely getting excited to see my immediate family this week. It was great seeing the aunts and uncles over the past week but it really just made me miss my mom, dad, and brosef even more. ALSO I miss Milo more than anything…. (no offense family) I realized today that this is the longest I’ve gone without seeing my immdeiate family EVER. And it’s also the most extended amount of time I’ve spent outside of Ohio. So it’s definitely an adjustment and I’ve been struggling with some home-sickness here and there. I honestly don’t think I’d be able to do this if I didn’t have Lys. Having someone you consider family with you makes the transition way easier. But as much as I love her to pieces, I still don’t recommend sharing a twin air mattresss with anyone. OH also... 99 cent stores are the best thing in the world. The aisles are jam-packed full of the most random assortment of things... all so cheap. And everything seems necessary... :)*

In other news I (Lys) have been ASMing for a wonderful show called “What the Sparrow Said” in the fringe festival. Well, one of our actors had a prior commitment and is out for a week, so now I get to understudy!! I got off book in a day, so I could really “act” the part during rehearsals. I am having SO much fun. It felt great to be doing a scene with other super talented actors and just being a character. I love the cast and crew and am having a wonderful experience. As I was telling Stef last night as we snuggled, “ I couldn’t be happier that I moved here, and am pursuing acting. I really do love it more than anything else in the world”. They say, only do acting if you can’t do anything else. I say, act if it is the only thing that makes you truly happy and you are willing to give up everything to do it. Seriously, if I have to work every temp, retail, and food job imaginable, and eat bread and butter daily to be here creating art, I will. (Okay sorry, it’s getting sappy, but I am really just that happy right now!....so if you need anything from me ask me in the next few days.)

*Hi. I guess I should add some bits about my work here. Let’s just say I have been absolutely exhausted stage managing these 2 shows. Mistress Ilsa ended on Saturday and it was kind of a relief just so I could not be spread so thin. I had fun working on it though. It’s interesting to see how working for the 2 different festivals is such a diverse experience. I’m getting really excited for the fringe show to go up. I am noticing that I really couldn’t see myself doing anything else. I am dreading trying to find a day job just because it won’t be nearly as rewarding as stage managing. Oh well! Gotta do what you gotta do!*

So now that we have a place, everyone is welcome to come visit whenever! If you want to send us cards, love, gifts, or MONEY message one of us and we will send you the address.

*Yeah what she said. Although visitors will be asked to pay a small fee of food and/or alcohol.*

Love to all!
Lys and Stef 


*P.S. In trying to come up with clever blog entry names Lys said "Maybe 'You are what you own...' oh wait that means nothing."*

No comments:

Post a Comment