Thursday, June 23, 2011

Being a Working Actor

I have almost finished one week of grown up life and so far it has been amazing. I decided to jump right in and thus I have been pretty busy! The city itself has also been busy with visits from Obama, Justin Bieber, and Bruno Mars (Yes, Stef and I almost had a heart attack). New York is seriously the greatest.

I went to three auditions this week!! One was for Broadway, and two were for off Broadway. Basically in order to find them you join actor websites and go to whichever ones you can that have a role that "fit" your type. I read sides for one, and did a monologue for 2 other ones. You can sign up an hour before auditions start, but most people line up about an hour before that. Needless to say I've been getting up around 6:30am so I'm exhausted! I ran into a BADA friend at one audition and made a friend in line at the other which was awesome. I love that theatre is not about competition in NYC and everyone is kinda in the same boat helping each other out. For the first time I am proud to say I have my equity card because it gets me into auditions, other people thinks it's great, and we all just learn from each other!!

Other than auditions I visited the Wing, drama bookstore, and got to see Mikey from Miami, Liza from Springboard, and hang out at night with Stef this week! I had a lot of down time in the afternoons but it was filled with audition hunting, emailing, and real world job hunting!!!!

Yes, I have a real world job! I'm making money!! I work for a Temp Agency called Forest Solutions and literally I signed up Wednesday morning, and started work Thursday afternoon! Today I worked at a sample sale. I was on my feet all day, which is tiring as all get out and I was basically in charge of checking bags all day...sounds boring...and it kinda was, BUT everyone who was working for the temp agency ranges in ages from about 19-25 so I made all sorts of friends, which made it kind of fun!!!

However, I did learn something important today.....I have found the worst job in the world....Passing Out Flyers To New Yorkers! Yes folks, I had to do that today, and as much as I hate walking by the people who pass out flyers, believe me, as much as you don't want to take one, they don't want to have to give you one! People give you dirty looks, or avert their heads completely as if you'll disappear....HELLO! I'M A PERSON! The people who actually take them are like heaven...I had a few people even ask for one, which made me so happy. Honestly guys, just take one and throw it away or smile and say "no thanks" it feels a lot better. I know I am going to be treating street people differently! Somehow we managed to pass out all 500 flyers and meet some interesting characters (one guy tried to offer me a better job). I may or may not be working the sale the rest of the week, but we'll see!! Coming up I am working the US open! OH also, definitely saw Judith Light at the sale! I got her her bag, but I didn't say anything because it didn't register it was her until she had already left the counter! What a crazy small theatre world it is!  (I've seen a director and talent agent I met at Springboard on the subway!)

So so far I'm doing it! Working, auditioning, eating, shelter, and having fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment