Sunday, June 12, 2011

Springboard and the Tonys!

Let me sum up living in NYC for you: The best decision of my life. I am doing this wonderful program called Springboard, which is even greater than I could have imagined. I saw 5 shows this week (Catch Me if You Can, House of Blue Leaves, The Normal Heart, MotherF****r With the Hat, and Sleep No More) AND went to The Tony dress rehearsal! Let's just say, I'm loving my life. But probably because the actual job hunt hasn't started yet.

I could go on forever about how amazing Springboard is, but instead I'll just give a brief overview. Every day I get to work with famous actors, directors, agents, managers, casting directors, and producers. To name a few of the actors you might know: Judith Light, Joshua Henry, Edie Falco, Bobby Cannovale, and Richard Topol. But everyone I have been meeting has given wonderful advice and I've been able to work on my monologues, a mock dance call, and even singing. The people in the program are incredible and wonderfully talented, and I've enjoyed hanging out with them. This program has taught me more about the business and being a working actor than most of my theatre training and college experience (not to say that Miami wasn't the best college experience ever because it was and I wouldn't change it for a second...it fully prepared me as an actor and a theatre person. Springboard just teaches you how to work in the business, which may be something you can't really get until you are in the city or a super hardcore BFA program). So yeah, that's my quick plug! If you want more details, contact me, but basically I just fall in love with theatre all over again every day!

All the plays I've seen have been pretty great. The best thing about it is most of them are plays! Plays are making a comeback on Broadway, people! :D Because most of you have heard of the other plays I want to quickly comment on Sleep No More. It's a 3 hour play that takes place in a 5 story hotel basically you can go into any room on any floor touch anything and chase/follow any actor you want to. It's pretty much impossible to see everything that is going on, but it is just the most fabulous piece of interactive theatre. Best audience experience of my life for sure!

Other good things is Stef has been meeting all my friends and they love her SM qualities and her personality which has been great! She cooked me dinner tonight and we watched the Tonys with Gabe. I think these are the best Tony's I've seen in awhile even though I knew pretty much all the jokes from the rehearsal! That experience was also one of a kind! We got to see the part of the show that goes on during commercial breaks and a majority of the presenters were there.

Okay well I could ramble forever about all of the specific happenings but basically the apartment is great, springboard is fabulous, Stef and I are living it up, and I am absolutely loving my life in NYC. Preparing for my last week of Springboard! Oh, also Stef started her job at the York today and super loves it so far, so we are both really happy :D

COME VISIT US!

No comments:

Post a Comment