Thursday, June 9, 2011

First week in NYC reflection...

Hi everyone!
It's Stefanie! I thought I'd fill you all in on my first week... :)

Well first off saying goodbye to my aunt, uncle, and cousins was really hard... It was one of the first times in the past 3 weeks it hit me that the next chapter of my life was beginning. So my uncle drove me into the city and the ride from Jersey was slow but exciting. I sat silent pretty much the whole time just soaking it all in and honestly if I had started talking I would have cried again. I was on my way to living in the capital of the world! It's a very overwhelming feeling and it still hasn't completely hit me. Ok so I got moved in just fine and settled in and everything. Lys told you all we had dinner and we got to see each other's places which was awesome. (I'm jealous of Lys's double bed while I only have a twin... haha)

Monday was pretty chill for me. I focused on running errands. I went to the grocery store that's a bit closer to Lys but only a short subway ride from me called "Trade Fair" which was just like a Trader Joe's. A lot of ethnic food and everything was reasonably priced. I know a lot of people say, "Oh everything in New York is soo expensive!!" but they are lying. I probably spent $40 on groceries and I got all my starting essentials. Juice, eggs, bread, pita bread, condiments, cereal, milk, cold cuts, cheese, coffee, sweetener etc. And then I went to a produce stand and bought a bunch of veggies (cucumbers, tomatos, etc) for $3 total! So it all depends on where you live I'm pretty sure... but here in Astoria it's just about the same as Ohio...

Tuesday was an exploration day. I walked to Astoria Park and sat out in the sun for a bit to get some color back... but then I was sweating bullets so I just sat in the shade and read my book. Then I meandered about Astoria and picked up a package for Lys and while walking back this littler girl almost followed me the entire way home until I stared her down to indicate that it probably was not the best idea for her to follow me. So once I got home I sat and cooled off for the rest of the afternoon and met up with a friend later that night for a drink at the Bohemian Beer Garden! The place seemed really cool and I'm excited to take Lys is check it out further!

Wednesday was my first day with my lovely mother! I met her at Penn Station and we came back to Astoria to show her my place and she got to see a little bit of the neighborhood, but we were in a bit of a rush to get back to get tickets for War Horse which was the show we definitely wanted to see in her time here. So yeah we waited in the cancellation line and after an hour or so (and some scam attempts to others in front of us) we got our tickets which were great seats!!! This was by far the best piece of theatre I've seen in a long time. We were literally sobbing at the end... it was so powerful. After the matinee we grabbed a bite to eat near Columbus Square and then I took her back to Penn to go back to my aunt and uncles in Jersey. Then Lys and I went to our first NYC party which was in the Upper East Side in this absolutely beautiful building in an extremely trendy apartment and we got to go up to the roof (which was just as fabulous as the building... I mean there were lounge chairs, a grill, astroturf!) So yeah it was a blast and Lys and I both had another overwhelming realization looking out from the roof and knowing we lived here! :)

Ok so then today I slept in and met my mom at Penn again for another day on the town... where it was 100 degrees I might add. We went to Eataly first which was over on 23rd and 5th I think... It was SOO cute. It was like this little Italian market but there were 5 different restaurants inside of it, some cafe style, some typical restaurant style... very neat. After that we walked to Union Square to meet up with a friend from church who works at the Trader Joe's down there so we sat in there and talked to him for awhile. After that and with the walking in the heat, we decided it was time for some ice cream! And what better place than Serendipity!! So we subwayed it up there and split a delicious "Can't Say No" sunday! (peanut butter pie with graham cracker crust, vanilla ice cream, bananas, hot fudge, topped with whipped cream and a cherry!... of course we couldn't say no to any of that!!) After indulging in that heaven, we walked down 5th ave to Times Square to try and score Book of Mormon lottery tickets... but once we got there, they told us the show was at 7 and the lottery had already happened. So we settled for Bengal Tiger in the Baghdad Zoo with Robin Williams. After we grabbed the tickets we chilled in Times Square and right before the storm hit we ran inside to TGIFridays which was the closest dinner location and met Lys for a quick bite on her dinner break. Then she was off to see Motherf**kers With the Hat and we were off to our show... While it wasn't as amazing as War Horse, it was still very powerful. Lys warned us and told us it was a dark comedy but maaannn... you were laughing and then you realized you were laughing at stuff that was extremely inappropriate! And Robin Williams was really great. It was interesting to see him in this dark setting and he pulled it off very well. After the show I took my mom back to Penn and we said our goodbyes which were even harder than our initial goodbyes from Ohio... and here I am back home trying to keep cool!

Tomorrow I'm just gonna get myself ready for work which starts this weekend hopefully! I'm soo ready to get into the grind of things!

Well this post was sufficiently long... haha! oops! I'm sure you'll be hearing from Lys soon because she's had an even more exciting week!!! :)

Peace out for now!
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment